Monday, August 13, 2012

Here's to a Healthy Start

For many years I have said next month I will start to eat healthier, workout, etc....   Of course , something always seems to come up.  My  kids have appointments, house needs to be cleaned, or some other excuse.  After finding out that my oldest daughter and husband our pre-diabetic, didn't know there was such a thing, it gave me a scare.    So no time like the present to start to make some changes.

For as long as I can remember I have been a huge soda drinker. But it's diet I kept telling myself.   Come to find out when I saws the nutritionist, that is just as bad. (Yes, I knew this, just was in denial.) So it's now been 10 days with no soda.   A first of many changes to come.   I am excited, but scared some old habits could come back.  Some of you know this, maybe very very few of you, but when I was in high school and just out of high school I would focus on what I weighed.   If I started to see my weight gain I would eat salads for  several weeks to drop weight, or not eat at all. I didn't admit to myself that I was starving myself to stay skinny till I was much older, looking back.   I think one of the things that has held me back from trying to lose weight is the fear that I will get obsessed with the number on the scale again, and not on my health.  The nutritionist said if it starts to bring up old habits, I can weigh in her office and she won't tell me the number, unless I want to know it. It's about the life changes and habits, not the number.

I got my blood  levels back and yea, everything so far looks good, even my cholesterol. The only low item is my vitamin D levels.  So we'll work on that.

The kids are back to school tomorrow and I am going to start going to the gym.  I've started carrying a food journal, and plan to go to the gym 4 days a week , and walk the other days.   I have very supportive friends, and know that if I put my mind to it, and stop all the excuses , failure will not be an option.   The whole family is getting on board and I am looking forward to the journey.

No comments: